Staffing The Search Engine Optimizer (EDITed)
The Search Engine Optimizer
As their name suggests, the Search Engine Optimizer does search engine optimization, which is also known as SEO. Every search engine (be it Google, Bing, Youtube, etc.) has an algorithm that determines what listings will show up on top. A skilled Search Engine Optimizer must understand the algorithm of the search engine they are using in order to optimize church content for the best results.
A Search Engine Optimizer who is not properly trained can ruin a website in a matter of seconds. Recall the story about the nonprofit we worked with that let go of 7 employees. While working with them, we discovered that their Search Engine Optimizer had destroyed years of website traffic growth when he changed the URLs of all the website’s pages. This decision lost this organization tens of thousands of dollars because Google no longer showed the site’s pages in the same spots where they once showed up; which meant that nobody could find their site to purchase their training. You would never want this to happen to your ministry, so you must make sure that your Search Engine Optimizer is properly trained.
Here is a list of skills your Search Engine Optimizer should have:
- Keyword Research: All Search Engine Optimizers should have a thorough understanding of keyword research AND be able to implement it to improve your website.
- Stay Up-To-Date: All Search Engine Optimizers should stay up to date on what their given search engine algorithms want to see. (For example, Google frequently updates its algorithm and reports on the changes. Search Engine Optimizers monitor the changes and update their web pages accordingly.)
- Platform Knowledge: Search Engine Optimizers should have an in-depth understanding of all platforms they work with. If a Search Engine Optimizer is optimizing Youtube videos, they should be proficient at using the Youtube platform. If they optimize web pages for Google, they should be proficient at using your website builder for Google. An SEO “expert” who isn’t trained properly to use the platform is like a bull in a china shop, with the china shop being your website.
- Analytic Data: Search Engine Optimizers should also be proficient at reading and identifying problems through analytic data. This means they should be proficient at using programs like Google Analytics.
- Other Tools: Search Engine Optimizers who work with Google rankings should be proficient at using tools such as Google Search Console and SEMRush. These tools provide information on which website pages rank the highest in Google and how much traffic they bring in. This information can also help the Search Engine Optimizer identify issues and implement solutions.
- Reporting: The Search Engine Optimizer should be able to measure and report the amount of traffic that is being generated by the church’s search engine presence. This report should be sent to the Marketing Director.